Senior Site Reliability Engineer
Tint empowers brands to unlock growth and improve profitability with embedded insurance. Tint provides the tech infrastructure, services, and industry expertise needed to build, launch, and maintain relevant and profitable white-label embedded customer protection solutions. We make it easy to embed insurance and assurance solutions whether our customers are just getting started or looking to improve an existing solution.
Happy Tint customers include Deel, Outdoorsy, uShip, Guesty, Neighbor, BabyQuip, and CitizenShipper, among others.
We've raised $30M and are backed by world-class investors such as Y Combinator, QED, Deciens, Nyca, Plug and Play, WIN, Soma Capital, and Pioneer Fund.
About the Role
As a Senior SRE at Tint, you will play a pivotal role in enhancing the efficiency and reliability of our technical infrastructure, primarily hosted on AWS. Your expertise in observability and security will contribute to our customers' success. Additionally, you will drive the Engineering team’s productivity by providing innovative tools for Platform Engineering and Infrastructure Management.
Your responsibilities will include:
- Collaborating with Engineering leaders, Product Managers, and customers to define Service Level Objectives (SLOs) for all our services, leveraging a data-driven approach to inform decision-making.
- Monitoring error budgets and using data insights to prioritize bug fixes and infrastructure projects to bolster platform reliability and security.
- Navigating the challenges of an early-stage startup with a mindset that prioritizes speed of execution over long-term scalability. You will recommend efficient solutions to expedite feature development, while adhering to compliance and security standards.
- Working closely with Engineers, you will be responsible for authoring, reviewing, and approving RFC documents to enhance our platform, its release management, and platform tooling.
- Serving as the go-to expert for system design queries, you will actively assist Engineers in developing, releasing, and maintaining our product features.
- Planning for capacity based on projected growth, conducting regular tests, and automating operational tasks to support Tint's expansion.
- Participating in the on-call rotation, leading incident management processes, and serving as an Incident Commander. This involves overseeing mitigation efforts and managing both internal and external communications during incidents.
- As a member of the Incident Response Team, you will handle security incidents (from mitigation to resolution) and play a key role in planning and testing our Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery processes, ensuring compliance across infrastructure and data handling.
We are looking for someone hands-on and capable of reviewing and updating code written by our Software Engineers, demonstrating a strong foundation in both software engineering and system operations.
What You Bring to Tint
- Systems Engineering Experience: At least 5 years of experience in Systems Engineering, specifically in roles like Site Reliability Engineer, Cloud Architect, or DevOps.
- Software Engineering Expertise: A minimum of 3 years of experience in Software Engineering, with demonstrated proficiency in Node.js.
- Advanced AWS Knowledge: Expertise in AWS, capable of managing, optimizing, and understanding complex cloud architectures, and implementing cloud-native solutions.
- Proficiency with Observability Tools: Strong experience with Datadog, including implementing and managing monitoring, logging, and alerting systems for high availability and performance.
- Data-Driven Decision Making: Adept at using data analytics and metrics for decision-making, especially in defining and tracking Service Level Objectives (SLOs) and managing error budgets.
- Incident Management Leadership: Ability to lead incident management processes, including taking on-call responsibilities and serving as an Incident Commander during major incidents.
- Automation and Scripting Skills: Proficiency in automating repetitive tasks and reducing operational toil using various scripting languages and automation tools.
- Collaborative and Communicative: Strong ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams, including Engineering leaders, Product Managers, and customers, with excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Startup Mindset: A flexible and dynamic work approach, prioritizing rapid execution and adaptability, suitable for an early-stage startup environment.
- Capacity Planning and Disaster Recovery: Skills in planning for infrastructure capacity based on projected growth, and experience in developing and testing Business Continuity & Disaster Recovery plans.
- Remote and Asynchronous Work Adaptability: Comfortable with working remotely and proficient in asynchronous communication, suitable for a distributed team environment.
Tint isn’t just focused on transforming the entire insurance industry - we have ambitious goals, value merit and open communication, celebrating diversity and unique ideas. At Tint, we support your personal and professional growth by offering the below benefits:
- Flexible Working. With our team spread across US and EU time zones, we are outcome-focused and give our people the flexibility they need to do their best work. To support flexible working, we’ll give you a stipend to get your home office dialed in and we’ll also reimburse you for co-working space memberships.
- Flexible Time Off. It's pretty simple: we don't control the days and hours that each of us works, so we're free to manage our time however we want to achieve the goals and deliverables we committed to. We have unlimited vacation time. Use it whenever you need to recharge!
- Competitive Compensation. In addition to a competitive salary, you’ll receive equity as part of your offer. We’re all owners - when Tint succeeds, we all succeed! We also help you maximize your money by offering an FSA and a 401(k) (for employees in the US only).
- Comprehensive Healthcare. Tint covers 100% of US employee (and dependent!) premiums for medical, vision and dental.
- Company Retreats to Exciting Locations. We meet in person as a company twice a year to make sure we have time to connect in real life and get to have those conversations that are better done in person. These retreats are a mix of business and fun and we always choose a cool, central-ish location - think Barcelona, Playa del Carmen, Mallorca… Add on a few days of your flexible time off and you’ve *almost* got a free vacation somewhere cool!
This role is fully remote, however our ideal candidate is located in the US or in Western Europe time zones. In addition to travel to twice annual company retreats, this role may require you to travel to one of our “HUBs” in either Paris or the US roughly every 6 - 8 weeks.
It is Tint’s intent to pay all Team Members competitive wages and salaries that are motivational, fair and equitable. The goal of Tint’s compensation program is to be transparent, attract potential employees, meet the needs of all current employees, and encourage Team Members to stay with our organization.
The base salary range for this position in the United States is expected to be $140,000 - $240,000. The total compensation package for this position includes an equity package as well as the benefits listed above. Actual compensation packages are based on several factors that are unique to each candidate, including but not limited to skill set, depth of experience, certifications, and specific work location.
- Product Overview and Demo
- Pictures of our January 2023 company retreat in Mexico
- Series A announcement
- Engineering Culture
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive company. We welcome people of different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives. We seek to create a culture where everyone can belong because we believe that people do their best work when they can show up daily as their authentic selves.
Tint is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate in hiring or any employment decision based on race, color, religion, national origin, age, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, or related medical conditions), marital status, ancestry, physical or mental disability, genetic information, veteran status, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, or other applicable legally protected characteristics. Tint considers qualified applicants with criminal histories consistent with federal, state, local, and international law. In our job application procedures, Tint is committed to providing reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities and disabled veterans. Please let your recruiter know if you need assistance or accommodation due to a disability.