Scientist, Genomics Assay Development
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Saturday, March 19, 2022
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
As a Genomic Assay Development Scientist at Volta, you will be responsible for collaboratively designing, optimizing, and overseeing the development of genomic assays for our digital fluidic platform. Your expertise in next-generation sequencing and molecular biology will contribute to project management and product development. A PhD or MSc in a relevant field, along with hands-on experience in NGS platforms and a proactive, collaborative mindset, are essential qualifications for this role. Experience with instrument and platform development, as well as the ability to work with cross-functional teams, is highly valued.
- Design, develop, and optimize genomic assays for implementation on Volta's proprietary digital fluidic platform.
- Lead the development and optimization of assays such as library preparation Illumina, ONT and PacBio Sequencing.
- Contribute to the management of projects through feasibility, development, and validation.
- Act as the subject matter expert and continuously drive product development through internal and external collaborations.
- PhD or MSc in cellular and/or molecular biology, genetics, biochemistry or a related discipline.
- 3+ years of relevant experience in an assay development environment.
- Demonstrated hands-on experience with next-generation sequencing, including platforms like Illumina, Oxford Nanopore or PacBio across diverse sample types (e.g. purified DNA, microbial, fresh and FFPE tissue material, blood, etc.).
- Experience with new instrument and platform development.
- Proficient in effective collaboration within a dynamic team environment, adeptness at adjusting to shifting priorities, and ability to readily offering solutions.
- Embraces a growth mindset as a continuous learner.
- Fluent in team coordination and communication, including the ability to synthesize and relay technical information to both specialists and non-specialists.
*If your work is not in NGS but in a related peripheral field, please apply. Examples include synthetic biology, cell and gene therapy, protein sequencing or general experience in biochemistry optimization. Expertise in at least one domain is required.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!