Senior Mechanical Design Engineer - Instrument
Cambridge, MA, USA
Posted on Wednesday, January 4, 2023
Volta Labs, Inc. (https://www.voltalabs.com/) is an MIT spin-off that has unlocked powerful new DNA sequencing capabilities by developing novel fluidic technology. Working at the intersection of engineering and biology, Volta is building a product to streamline DNA sequencing sample prep. As DNA sequencing is the foundational technology behind humanity‘s understanding of diseases and the tool that provides a new view into the fundamentals of biology, Volta is at the forefront of a sequencing revolution, driving sequencing towards seamless ease of use and complete automation.
Working at Volta Labs means having big ambitions for solving the world’s most challenging problems. Volta has brought together individuals from many different fields (physics, biology, engineering, operations) to work toward one main shared goal -- build the most advanced sample prep solution for sequencing. We are a product and data-driven company where employees are empowered to learn and thrive in a fast-paced, open, and collaborative environment. This is an exciting phase to join Volta; with commercialization imminent, our product has the potential to change the future of sequencing.
How you will contribute:
- Participate in the definition of instrument architecture with a cross-functional team of engineers.
- Architect and design mechanical and electromechanical systems within the instrument.
- Analytical modeling of designs using computer-based tools and hand calculations.
- Rapid prototyping, integration and testing of parts and systems.
- Interdisciplinary troubleshooting and root cause analysis.
- Creating specialized test fixtures and assembly jigs.
- Lead mechanical design reviews and technical presentations.
- Generate detailed part designs, drawings and work instructions.
- Work with supply chain and manufacturing on production transfer activities.
- BS degree in Mechanical Engineering with a minimum of 3 years of industry experience
- Demonstrated track record with the design and architecture of mechanical (e.g., statics, mechanisms, motion) and electromechanical (e.g., motors, sensors, heating and cooling) systems.
- Expertise in 3D CAD and version control (we use Onshape).
- Extensive experience with detailed part design, including high precision machining, sheet metal design, and injection molding design.
- Knowledge of ASME Y14.5 including GD&T
- Experience managing cross functional development partners.
- Experience throughout the entire product design lifecycle from concept generation through manufacturing release and ramp.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Ability to distill complex technical information into a clear message.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, interdisciplinary team environment and quickly adjust to rapidly evolving technology and priorities.
Qualifications considered a plus:
- Experience with computer based numerical and analytical tools like FEA, MATLAB, and/or Python/Numpy.
- Experience with control systems.
- Knowledge of exact constraints and kinematic design.
- Life science tools or biotechnology experience.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave, which can be taken over 12 months
Unlimited Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
10 Paid Federal Holidays
Twice Weekly On-site Lunches, variety snacks, beverages, & treats
Weekly Paid Coffee Date with Colleague
Monthly Team Happy Hours
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse perspectives. Women, people of color, people who are differently abled, and members of the LGBTQ+ community are encouraged to apply. Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!
See more open positions at Volta Labs
Something looks off?