Staff/Principal Software Engineer, Instrument Software
Boston, MA, USA
Posted on Tuesday, May 30, 2023
Volta Labs is building a suite of genomics applications for our first-of-its-kind digital fluidics sample prep automation platform. Our technology will remove the need for laborious sample setup, provide a technology-agnostic suite, and shorten sample processing time from hours to seconds. We believe our tech is the next step in unlocking the hospital of the future and will accelerate medical research by decades.
You'll join a team of innovative thinkers who love to experiment, collaborate, and win together. We are passionate about pushing the boundaries of automation, biology, computing, robotics, design, and user experience to benefit our customers and the world.
This role will be part of the Instrument Software team at Volta. This small but mighty team is responsible for all software controlling the instrument. The tech stack is modern Python and C++, with ReactJS, and Typescript used for the instrument UI. Our software has been deployed in some of the foremost research institutions in the world. Areas of work include firmware, instrument control, real-time video processing, and telemetry. Join us if you are passionate about the interaction of software, hardware, and biology and want to define the future of automation in the life sciences!
We are looking for an experienced software engineer to help drive the design and development of Python based instrument control software for the Volta automation platform. This new, high-impact role offers great visibility within the company and the opportunity to directly contribute to Volta's growth. Working within the small SW team you will become an expert in Volta's instrument software, influence the product roadmap, and ensure the successful deployment of instrument software at customer sites.
- Design and develop instrument software for the Volta automation platform
- Write high-quality, maintainable, and testable Python code
- Proactively identify technical risks and devise mitigation strategies
- Scope tasks and timelines for the instrument software team, balancing short-term and long-term needs
- Communicate effectively with cross-functional stakeholders and build alignment toward specific solutions
- Support hiring activities and mentor junior engineers
- BS or higher in Computer Science, or a similar field, or equivalent experience
- 8+ year of experience developing production code with modern Python and 2 plus years in a Linux environment.
- Python programming: This senior-level individual contributor role requires a mastery of Python programming basics and a strong grasp of advanced Python programming constructs and paradigms (decorators, type hinting, concurrency, asyncio, event-driven programming). You must also have significant experience architecting software systems and a good understanding of Linux plumbing tools like systemd and udev.
- Software for hardware: All Python code you write will run on the instrument and control its functionality. You should have extensive hands-on experience with the design, development, and testing of software . Prior experience working with robotics, lab automation, 3D printing, etc is preferred.
- Startup orientation: Volta is a startup. To succeed at Volta, you must have a "get it done" mindset and be willing to step outside your usual job role to ensure project success. You should also be able to thrive in a dynamic, fast-paced environment with ambiguous requirements and evolving priorities. A pragmatic approach to prioritizing tasks and managing tech debt is a huge plus.
This is a full-time position that requires a significant amount of in-person work and collaboration onsite at our Seaport Office in Boston, MA. If you are unable to relocate or commute to the Boston MA area, this role won't be a match.
Our Benefits and Perks:
Robust Equity Program, to build future wealth through stock options with high growth potential
Comprehensive Healthcare Coverage, including Medical, Dental, & Vision
HSA, FSA, and Sponsored Commuter Benefit Plans
Access to Our 401K Plan, to save for your future
12 Weeks of Paid Parental Leave
Paid Time Off, because we understand the importance of time off for rest and adventure
11 Paid Holidays
Twice Weekly Company Lunches, office snacks, beverages, & treats
Monthly Team Happy Hours and regular team outings
We are an equal opportunity employer and foster diversity and inclusion at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, and we actively seek out and value diverse backgrounds and experiences.
Even if you don't check every box, but see yourself positively contributing, please apply. Help us build an inclusive community that will change the face of bio-automation!